Thursday, January 27, 2011

Justine Henin announces retirement again...


Belgian former women's world number one Justine Henin announces retirement from professional women's tennis again.

The 28-year-old seven-time Grand Slam champion announced her retirement on her official website yesterday, a serious right elbow injury cutting short the 'second innings of her career'.

Belgian women's tennis legend Justin Henin retires again

The Belgian was knocked out of the 2010 Australian Open in the third round by Svetlana Kuznetsova. She entered the tournament having not played an official match since injuring her elbow against reigning U.S. Open champion Kim Clijsters in June.

"I have undergone several tests the past few days, confirming that my elbow has sustained a lot more damage during my adventure in Australia," the 28-year-old Belgian said on her website.

She was ranked No. 1 when she abruptly announced her retirement in 2008, only to return 20 months later and reach last year's Australian Open final. She partially tore a ligament in the elbow in a tumble at Wimbledon last year and hasn't been the same since.

"It is clear now that I have to accept that my career ends for good," said Henin, currently ranked No. 13. "Even if it is hard, very hard, at a time when I came back with enormous fighting spirit."

Henin acknowledged as much to the fans in her farewell letter.
"If there is one thing I could regret, it is that I protected myself too much and could not be closer to you. I hope you will forgive me," she said.

Looking back at some of memorable pictures of Justine Henin.... 

Henin won the "Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year 2008"


Justine Henin possessed a lethal backhand...a stylish one- handed stroke that blistered opponents... I always felt that she is the "Female Federer".
Henin has won four French Opens, two U.S. Opens and one Australian Open before quitting the game in May 2008 because she wanted a “new start” in life....


Justine Henin also served as the UNICEF Goodwill ambassador during her first break of retirement in 2009


A wonderful portrait picture of Justine Henin... a true women's tennis legend that people would remember...


 We'll  definitely miss you Henin!!!
Wish You All The Best...

Share this post with your friends....

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...